Welcome to Savannah Musicians' Institute
Savannah Musicians Institute ~ Music Lesson School ~ 15 East Montgomery Crossroads Office #205
Savannah, GA 31406 (912) 388-1806
The Importance of Music
Music is an all inclusive subject. Math, History, Science, Muscle Coordination, and so much more go into the process of making music. Developmentally, research supports the listening to music at the earliest of ages (including in utero!) helps with the developement of cognitive and physical developments. We use music as a neumonic device for our most important facts and figures, as ear worms for advertising, and as pure entertainment.
The ability to create music, believe it or not, is not exclusive to the naturally talented. Even the glimmer of talent needs a lot of practice to make it the amazing effortless performance we see. Every musician had to start with the basics. The spark of talent is in 98% of the world population, and sometimes just needs a little bit of encouragement to make it grow into a blazing fire. (By the way, the other 2% of the world still love music in some way, shape or form anyway!) It is one of the most satisfying things that we, as humans, can do for ourselves and for others. Even if we just hum to ourselves or sing in the shower, Music offers an outlet that compares to nothing else. Wouldn't you want to be more confident in your ability to create something that amazing? Wouldn't you want your kids to know and appreciate that amazing creation?
The National Association for Music Education has worked tirelssly to ensure that everyone (including our government) knows exactly how important music is in the grand scheme of life. Recently, Music Education has won an important breakthrough in Congress with the passing of the "Every Student Succeeds Act" or ESSA, which names Music as an essential part of a well rounded education. (SImply put, Music WILL be a part of our children's future in the public school system!) For more information on Music Importance, ESSA, and the library of information regarding musical research, see the link below for NAfME.
National Association for Music Education (NAfME) is among the world’s largest arts education organizations, is the only association that addresses all aspects of music education. NAfME advocates at the local, state, and national levels; provides resources for teachers, parents, and administrators; hosts professional development events; and offers a variety of opportunities for students and teachers. The Association orchestrates success for millions of students nationwide and has supported music educators at all teaching levels for more than a century.
Since 1907, NAfME has worked to ensure that every student has access to a well-balanced, comprehensive, and high-quality program of music instruction taught by qualified teachers. NAfME’s activities and resources have been largely responsible for the establishment of music education as a profession, for the promotion and guidance of music study as an integral part of the school curriculum, and for the development of the National Standards for Arts Education.